Skip to main content

lunch@jica cafe


lunch@jica cafe
Originally uploaded by piroko_kuroda
Tried a lunch at Cafe Frontier at JICA (Japan International Cooperation Agency, Sadako Ogata is president) in Hiroo. Didn't expect much as it was a part of a governmental organization, but in fact, it was pretty decent place. Interior was not bad, staff were friendly and quick, and food was fast and unique, as they have dishes from several different countries with reasonable price. I saw families with little children, elder and younger group of people there.

I thought I used to hear lots of seniors participating JICA, but seems it's not a trend anymore, or at least the news are focusing on the other issues lately. I saw many senior people flying to those countries in Africa continent where JICA deployed their support, via Heathrow when I used to work at the airport. I didn't have chance to actually talk to them, as they all looked very nervous. They must be because the most of them were retired professionals who were to educate or train people with different language, culture, custom, and in much severe circumstances. I admired them as they had skills and experiences that they could share with the others, and I still do. Maybe because of those veterans' effort of cooperating those countries, Japan received lots of support including monetary from, namely, Algeria, Soudan. It's very thankful they do care about us, although, I assume, they must be busy with their own issues.

Somewhere I read that Japan doesn't spread much of our tax money as international support like ODA, despite of our impression (or at least how media reports, or not reports the facts...), rather give long term loans in Japanese yen. The purpose of the loan is to support financially off course, but rather than just give money, those who received the loan need to pay back, especially in Japanese yen. Maybe because we don't simply have a concept of charity, or maybe because we have same experience of receiving loans from World Bank after the WWII, somehow this obligation of re-payment encourage to make efforts. You might not appreciate something you were simply given by someone else without a choice, but if you borrow money and build something you like, then you must take good care of it, don't you?

Eating my Laos curry noodle, thinking there are so many things we can do, share, cooperate, etc., though, what I need to do now it to look after my family and get ready for Obon (festival of souls in Japan) back at my hometown, and I hurried my way back to my house in the summer heat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

浮き輪

浮き輪 Originally uploaded by piroko_kuroda She had mild fever for past a couple days with lose tummy, and the fever got very high on Fri. So, took her to hospital in the morning, and got antifebrile. It worked well, but we stayed home all day inside to take it easy.

Heat at concrete jungle called Tokyo

  都心で涼を求めて水辺を散歩。でもやっぱり暑い!更科さんの風鈴の音に一番涼しさを感じました。 Naoya Little waterfall in the city Masaki Water garden Very hot... 更科の風鈴の音が涼しげ

Science experiment of dry ice

Science experiment of dry ice Originally uploaded by piroko_kuroda